Thursday, March 20, 2008

About this blog. A Benedictine oblate blog

This Oblate blog is a companion to my web site OblateSpring.com.

If you are searching for a deeper spirituality, you may find it in the ancient spring of Christian monastic practices going back to the desert fathers. Oblates can also trace their manner of living to the early days of Christianity and early Church fathers.

Oblates come from all religious backgrounds. Of the 25,000 oblates in the world, about half are in the United States.

My web site OblateSpring.com answers your initial questions about oblate monasticism and has Links to Oblate Resources.

This blog is about my oblate life.

Together this blog and the OblateSpring.com web site provide another aspect of how to explore the spirituality of being an oblate.

Oblate monasticism is not for everyone, but you may have a monastic inside of you just trying to bring you into the silence.

Someone asked me why I write this blog. There are four main reasons:

1. HELP OTHERS WHO HAVE FOUND THE STREAM AND ARE JUST STARTING OUT TO FIND ITS HEADWATERS. This blog may give a mark or guide to people who want to know more about being a Benedictine oblate, (Do you live in a monastery? Do you wear funny clothes? Do you have to be celibate? Do you have to be Catholic? Is there some secret teaching only oblates know? — the answer is “no” to all of those questions).

2. A RECORD OF MY SPIRITUAL LIFE. This blog provides a handy record and personal journal of my oblate experiences.

3. CLARIFIES MY THOUGHTS. I often read and study about a topic before I write about it, even if the researched point is only mentioned in passing in the blog. The process of study, thinking, and writing helps clarify monastic principles in my own heart.

4. DIFFERENT SPIRITUAL TRADITIONS ARE SOURCES OF INSIGHTS — OFTEN HUMILITY. This blog is also an exciting way to meet people with similar interests from other spiritual traditions. I find myself saying, “that tradition is not for me, but praise God I have been able to learn about it and see yet another way that God’s great power and love is expressed.”

Regardless of whether learning about oblate monasticism is simply to check off, "No, my spiritual home is not in any form of monasticism," or is to perhaps give form to a deep sense of direction within you, I pray for peace to your heart. You are welcomed as Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment